Sleep Medicine in San Francisco
San Francisco Dental Wellness provides sleep medicine in San Francisco, CA. Call 415-781-1944 to learn more and schedule an appointment.
Recently Board certified by the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine, Dr. Chris Chui is an expert leader in the field of Dental Sleep Medicine. Dr. Chui is one of a select number of dentists who are double Boarded in Dental Sleep Medicine with the American Board of Dental Sleep Medicine and the American Sleep and Breathing Academy. Additionally, Dr. Chui has been certified by the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine as a Qualified Dentist to treat patients with Sleep Apnea.
By providing current patients a complimentary home sleep study test, Dr. Chui can help diagnose and treat patients with OSA and other breathing disorders. Dr. Chui will be able to monitor a patient’s sleep patterns with an easy to use, home sleep study test that does not require any invasive sensors or other devices that may interfere with your sleep.
What is Snoring?
Caused by a narrowing or blocking of the airway, snoring disrupts the airflow and causes the soft palate and tissues of the throat to vibrate. The uvula vibrates during inhalation and creates the snore sound. The narrower the airway becomes, the louder the snoring.
Do You Snore?
- Do you experience restless sleep?
- Do you wake up tired?
- Do you have difficulty concentrating?
- Do you have frequent headaches in the morning?
- Do you wake up with a sore throat?
- Does your partner tell you that you snore?
If you answered yes, snoring may be impacting your overall health.
Some common causes of snoring include:
- Inflammation of the tissues in the mouth nose or throat (including tonsils)
- Blocked nasal passages (often caused by a cold or allergies)
- Lack of muscle tone (due to aging or poor fitness levels)
- Obesity, causing the airway to narrow due to fat
- Medicines that cause relaxation
How to Stop Snoring
Snoring can often be treated by wearing an oral appliance that maintains an open, unobstructed airway in the throat while you sleep.
Sleep Apnea Treatment
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is an ongoing disorder in which a patient experiences one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths during sleep. The sleep disruption caused by sleep apnea can negatively impact your quality of sleep, leaving you tired and irritable.
Could Sleep Apnea be Disrupting Your Sleep?
- Do you wake up with a dry mouth?
- Do you wake up gasping for air?
- Do you suffer from excessive sleepiness during the day?
- Are you irritable?
- Do you have frequent morning headaches?
- Does your partner tell you that you snore loudly?
- Does your partner report that you stop breathing while you sleep?
If you answered yes, you may be experiencing sleep apnea.
TREATING MILD SLEEP APNEA
Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT) can often be an effective treatment for patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea. Many patients suffering from sleep apnea can find relief using a custom removable oral appliance that adjusts the position of the lower jaw and tongue to minimize airway obstruction.
Treating Moderate Sleep Apnea
Oral Appliance Therapy can also be used to treat moderate to severe sleep apnea. A breathing device called CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) may also be an effective treatment option. A CPAP machine uses a mask that fits over your mouth and/or nose and gently blows air into your throat. This constant air pressure helps keep your airway open while you sleep. An oral appliance can be used in conjunction with or as an alternative to the CPAP if a patient is unable to tolerate using the CPAP machine.
ProSomnus Micro 2
At San Francisco Dental Wellness, we offer the ProSomnus Micro 2 oral appliance as a solution for snoring and sleep apnea.
ProSomnus Micro 2
- Designed by leading experts in the field of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Treats sleep disorders by positioning the jaw in the most optimal position
- Created as a single piece with no moving parts
- Provides more tongue space than other appliances
- Shaped from material that is thinner and stronger but less bulk and volume
- Easier to clean and made of a clear material that is more attractive